By JUDY SIEGEL
A mechanical lead pencil tossed playfully by a schoolgirl at an eight-year-old Rehovot girl during class nearly cost the child her sight.
Linoy Gathan Photo: Courtesy Kaplan Medical Center
The girl was hospitalized for a few days, during which she was given antibiotics to prevent infection. At a checkup at Kaplan on Sunday Gathon was told that her eyeball had suffered no permanent damage.
She said that while she was hospitalized, everyone in the school talked about the incident, and the teachers led discussions on accident prevention.
The ophthalmology team called on parents to educate their children about the dangers inherent in the use of pencils, both mechanical and standard.
“In Lenoy’s case, she was very lucky… it even was a miracle, because the graphite pierced the edge of her eye and not the center.
She could have lost her sight,” the doctors said.